ICYMI: Rep. Marc Molinaro Lied To Constituents on Stance to Not Cut Veteran Services and SNAP Benefits
WASHINGTON, D.C. — After voting in favor of the Default on America Act, Rep. Marc Molinaro (NY-19) blatantly misled his constituents on his willingness to protect SNAP and veterans’ benefits.
In recent weeks, Rep. Molinaro stated that cutting these benefits “are off the table” and a “red line” – yet he voted for McCarthy’s Default on America Act, which would cut funding for the Departments of Veterans Affairs and other programs veterans rely on and lead to many Americans losing SNAP benefits.
Here is what that bill means for New Yorkers:
- Over 54,000 New Yorkers at risk of losing SNAP benefits
- 1.3 million veterans nationwide also rely on SNAP
- Health services threatened for over 225,000 New York veterans
- Over 2 million Medicaid enrollees in the state at risk of losing coverage
- Over 100,000 women and children in New York losing nutrition assistance through the WIC program
In response, Unrig Our Economy campaign director Sarah Baron issued the following statement:
“Rep. Molinaro’s vote not only put veteran services and SNAP benefit cuts “on the table”, he was a deciding vote to make them the reality for New Yorkers in his district. It is shameful that he would plainly lie and choose to protect tax breaks for the wealthy and big corporations over helping his own constituents.”